We made the mistake of serving this in our store before we had the root beer flavor
on the shelf. Oh, oh. Folks were really disappointed. But get some flavor and you
and Bubba should have some great Friday nights.
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup white corn syrup (Karo)
1/8 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons Root Beer flavor
1 drop of Americolor Orange food
coloring gel or equal
Yields 14 cups of candy popcorn. This recipe can also be doubled successfully.
1. Pop the popcorn kernels. Set aside in 2 large bowls.
2. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan.
3. Add the corn syrup and water. Stir.
4. Add the sugar. Make sure not to let any sugar stick to the edges of the pan.
If one grain of sugar is left undissolved, it can cause the whole batch to
5. Bring to a boil and continue to cook until
the mixture reaches 235-245 degrees.
(Please use a candy thermometer). It is
important for the mixture to reach this
temperature, if it doesn’t the candy will
not harden properly.
6. Add the baking soda and stir quickly
as the mixture begins to bubble. Once
bubbly and frothy, remove the pan from
7. Add the flavor and food coloring until
8. Pour over the popped popcorn in both
bowls. Fold into the popcorn until evenly