Forget those Chinese take-out menus in the drawer; you can make authentic Chinese lemon chicken in no time. It has just the right amount of crisp and zest to leave you licking your fingers and going back for more. It’s so easy, you can make it in just five steps.
Crispy Chinese Lemon Chicken Recipe
For the Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups panko
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Make an egg wash by slightly beating two eggs with one tablespoon of water. In a separate flat-bottomed dish, place the two cups of panko.
- With a meat mallet, pound each chicken breast to 1/4 inch thick. Dip each chicken breast in egg then panko, and again in egg then panko. This double-dipping process is crucial to create an extra-crispy crust for each chicken piece that will not rub off.
- Fry each chicken piece in 350° vegetable oil until the crust is crispy and golden brown. Place the fried chicken pieces onto a plate with a paper towel allowing the excess oil to drain and set aside.
- In a wok, on medium heat, heat 1/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup chicken broth, 1 teaspoon lemon
zest, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, one garlic clove, and one or two drops yellow food coloring (if desired). In a separate small bowl, combine one tablespoon cornstarch with one tablespoon water to make the slurry. Add the slurry to the sauce and continue to heat and stir until sauce is thickened.
- Place the fried chicken on a plate and cut into strips. Pour the sauce over the top and serve warm.
How to Make Chinese: A Beginner’s Guide to Chinese Food
How to Make Wontons & Crab Rangoons
Get this FREE e-book!
“How to Bake: The Art and Science of Baking”
Learn the baking techniques the pros use. Just tell us where to send it.