This whipped cream cake is made with a vanilla bean baby cakes mix with a touch of orange flavor and topped with orange-flavored whipped cream frosting. It’s light, citrusy, and just a dream for the taste buds.
The flavor is Orange Cream Flavor, a flavor very similar to the Orange Dream Cycles we used to eat as kids. The flavor is orange and vanilla, not a true orange flavor. It is unique—the flavor and color are combined. Add enough to reach the deep orange you remember on the ice cream novelties and the flavor will be right. It is absolutely delightful.
Whipped cream frosting is delightful, but it does not hold up well. We recommend that cakes made with whipped cream frosting be eaten the same day they are frosted.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Mix the cake batter in your stand type mixer, per package instructions.
- Add the orange cream flavor.
- Spread batter in a greased or parchment-lined 9X13 cake pan and bake for 18 minutes at 325°F or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack. If you are using parchment paper, grab the edges of the paper and lift to transfer it to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
6. After it has cooled, trim the edges back 1/4 to 1/2-inch. Use a ruler to cut the cake in half either long ways or short ways.
7. You are now ready to stack and assemble your cake. Put either frosting or a filling between the layers, cover the cake with frosting, and decorate it.
Orange Cream Flavored Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 40% fat
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange cream flavor or enough to reach the right intensity of color and flavor
- 1/3 cup meringue powder
- Whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Add the sugar, meringue powder, and flavor and continue whipping until the peaks become very stiff.
- The tendency is to under whip the cream, not over whip it. If you think it is whipped, whip it some more. Your cake will thank you.
- Use DariGold Heavy Whipping Cream from Sam’s Club with a 40% fat content (6% per serving).