I’m not lying when I say these pumpkin pie squares are better than pumpkin pie. This recipe is easier, has more emphasis on the pumpkin flavors and filling, and the crust is as simple as oats and brown sugar–no pie crust! Merri Ann and I hardly ever make pumpkin pie anymore when we can just make these.
Why We Love These Pumpkin Pie Squares
- You don’t have to tinker with a pie crust
- You can make it in three sizes with the big one, big enough for a crowd
- It’s exciting, different than a pumpkin pie
- It’s easy
The Story Behind the Pumpkin Pie Squares
Merri Ann discovered this recipe not long after we were married and I fell in love with it. She made it often. I remember it was her go-to recipe for church suppers.
Then I started making it. I have a tendency to tinker with recipes but I don’t remember changing much. Eventually, we created versions for small, medium, and large batches. When we made this to serve in our store, the staff and the customers loved it.
We served it with ginger whipped cream, which is made with two cups cream whipped with 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon of butter rum flavor. There was just enough heat to give it some warmth.
Pumpkin Pie Squares Recipe
We designed this recipe for a small, medium, or large batch. Use an 8 x 8-inch baking pan for the small, an 81/2 x 13-inch pan for the medium, and a 10 x 15-inch pan for the large.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- For the crust, cut the butter into the sugar, oats, and flour until crumbly. Press the ingredients into an ungreased baking pan, across the bottom and up the sides. Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- For the topping, cut the butter into the nuts, flour, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- For the filling, combine all ingredients in and whisk until smooth and all ingredients are evenly distributed. Pour into the baked crust. Bake for twenty minutes and remove from the oven. Immediately, spoon the topping over the filling and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until a knife stuck in the center comes out almost clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with flavored whipped cream.
Caramel Spiced Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. caramel flavor
- 1 tbsp. meringue powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt