This microwave fudge is ridiculously easy. Just mix it up in a bowl, stick it in the microwave to melt the chocolate, and pour it into a pan. It’s that simple and still has a great flavor and a nice texture.
How this Microwave Fudge Works
How does a fudge cooked in the microwave still work and taste just as good as regular fudge cooked on the stove? It all has to do with the reactions from the four main ingredients: chocolate, cocoa, baking soda, and sweetened condensed milk.
The combination of the baking soda and cocoa changes the character of the fudge. The baking soda is a base and the cocoa is slightly acidic.Together they create a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide and reduces acidity.
The change in acidity alters the flavor and the reaction changes the texture of the fudge, making it go from a simple melted chocolate to a fully developed fudge.
The sweetened condensed milk provides an extra creaminess and acts as a sweetener.
A Microwave Fudge, But Ingredients Matter
I think you’ll be delighted with this fudge. Use good quality chocolate and cocoa andI think you’ll like every batch but experiment with different brands until you find the perfect fudge.
Get the Right Chocolate
Your fudge is not going to be any better than the chocolate you use.
We used our own brand of dark (semi-sweet) chocolate wafers and it was perfect. We also made a batch with chocolate chips.It was good but not as good. Wafers are made for candy making and are smoother and have a better mouth feel than do chocolate chips.
Use the Best Cocoa
The cocoa absorbs moisture and, along with the baking soda, makes the fudge lighter in texture.
We tried this with both Ramstadt Breda Dark Cocoa and Ramstadt Breda Medium Dark Cocoa. Both are very good cocoas, but they have different flavors. I was surprised at how much difference there was between the two batches. Both made great fudge but I preferred the fudge made with medium cocoa as did most of the staff.
Five Minute Microwave Fudge Recipe
- 16 ounces Prepared Pantry Dark Chocolate Wafers or equal (With these wafers, this is a scant three cups.)
- 1/4 cup Ramstadt Breda Medium Dark Cocoaor equal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar vanilla extract or equal
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Line an 8×8-inch pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place all the ingredients except for the nuts in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Stir together.
- Cook the mixture in the microwave at reduced power and in short intervals, stirring between intervals, until the chocolate is almost melted. Remove the bowl from the microwave and continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted. Fold in the nuts.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the prepared pan. Refrigerate until set.
- After it is set, grab the edges of the foil or parchment paper and lift the block of fudge from the pan.
- Cut the fudge into squares with a sharp knife.