This is really a recipe for peanut butter yoyo cookies—thin peanut butter slice and bake refrigerator wafers sandwiched with a creamy chocolate ganache filling. This recipe is bound to be a hit at your house. It’s one of our favorite recipes.
For the very best ganache cookie filling, use a quality chocolate, though good quality chocolate chips will make a fine cookie.
Peanut Butter Slice and Bake Wafer Cookies
These peanut butter wafer cookies are perfect slice and bake refrigerator cookies. You can make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze it until you’re ready to bake.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Cream the butter and sugars together with the paddle attachment of your mixer. Add the salt, egg, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the peanut butter and mix.
2. Add the flour and baking soda and beat until combined.
3. Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes to firm up slightly.
4. Divide the dough into two portions. Using wax paper, roll each portion into logs 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Refrigerate for two hours or until firm.
5. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cut cookies into 3/8-inch slices. Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies just start to brown on the edges. Cool on a wire rack.
Creamy Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped into pieces
- Mix the whipping cream, butter, and light corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Heat until it simmers.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add the baking chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted into a smooth sauce. The filling will thicken as it cools.
This can also be made with one cup of semisweet chocolate chips though the lack of cocoa butter in the chocolate chips will affect the flavor. If you use chocolate chips, increase the butter to two tablespoons.
Assembling the Sandwich Cookies
Scoop just one teaspoon of the ganache onto a peanut butter wafer cookie and top it with another cookie. Notice that the sandwich cookie looks much like a yo-yo, hence the familiar name of peanut butter yo-yo cookies we like to give it.