This spinach and ricotta omelet recipe is a great healthy omelet! It’s made with fresh spinach and creamy ricotta cheese. The red pepper adds flavor and color.
The recipe is sized for a single 3-egg omelet. If you are going to make several omelets, multiply the amount of the ingredients. The directions are for our five-minute omelet method .
The Healthy Spinach and Ricotta Omelet Recipe
- 3 large eggs
- a large handful of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/8 red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- a pat of butter
- salt and pepper
- Whisk the eggs together in a cup. Sauté the red pepper pieces and spinach together until the pepper is tender and the spinach is wilted. Mix the ricotta cheese with the spinach and pepper.
- Use an eight-inch, nonstick heavy frying pan. Put a pat of butter in the pan. Over medium-high heat, heat the butter to just short of brown and swirl it around the pan.
- Pour the eggs into the hot pan. Salt and pepper the eggs.
- Scramble the eggs with a soft silicone spatula scraping the bottom and sides of the pan. The eggs will cook quickly and curds will form.
- When the eggs approach the consistency of cottage cheese with mostly solids but some liquid eggs, stop stirring. Use the spatula as a paddle to pat the eggs down into an even layer. Let the eggs continue cooking until the liquids are set and the top of the omelet is cooked.
- Spread the ricotta cheese mixture across half of the omelet. If you are right-handed, put the mixture on the left side of the omelet.
- The omelet should slip around in the pan without a hint of sticking. Move the pan to a plate, tip the pan on an angle over the plate, and gently shake the omelet onto the plate filling side first.
- When the omelet is about half onto the plate, twist the pan with your wrist folding the remaining omelet over that on the plate. The omelet should be folded over with the bottom edge protruding about one-half inch.