This authentic fried rice recipe is quick and easy to make; it only takes minutes to convert steamed rice to fried rice. This fried rice is made with peas, carrots, and eggs. Really good fried rice is made with sesame oil. The sesame oil adds a nutty-like flavor, much more flavorful than vegetable oil, and ties the dish together.
About the Sesame Oil in Authentic Fried Rice Recipes
Sesame oil is essential in much Asian cooking. It is fragrant and flavorful and usually only a little is used in a dish. Like olive oil, it comes in many different varieties. Experiment to find the one that appeals most to you. Because only a little is used, a bottle will last a long time. If you don’t use it often, store open bottles in the refrigerator.
About the Soy Sauce in Authentic Fried Rice Recipes
Soy sauce is another essential in Asian cooking and a very common flavor. It is loaded with sodium and if you are concerned about salt intake, it should be used judiciously. Soy sauce can be used in place of salt in many recipes. While soy sauce varies from one to producer to another, the sodium in a teaspoon of soy sauce generally equals that in 1/4 teaspoon salt. In fried rice, you may use more soy sauce if you start with unsalted rice.
Authentic Fried Rice Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas and diced carrots
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of 1/2-inch cubed cooked ham
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or more to taste
- Heat the sesame oil and vegetable oil in a wok or stir fry pan over medium heat.
- Peel your garlic with a garlic peeler and grate using a fine grater or garlic press.Add the garlic and cook until tender.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables and cook until they are warm.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk three eggs. Add the eggs to vegetable mixture in the wok or stir fry pan. Stir to scramble the eggs into small chunks. Add the ham.
- Cook your rice on the stovetop or use a microwave rice cooker. Add the rice and soy sauce; stir until mixed evenly. Serve hot.