We like to think this cinnamon chip banana muffin is just as good as our favorite cinnamon chip banana bread. With the banana flavor combined with a burst of cinnamon in every bite, these muffins are to die for.
This is the same recipe as for standard-sized muffins except that our mini cinnamon chips are added. This recipe makes 12 standard muffins with high domes.
We’ve also made these in a mini-cheesecake pan to make 24 cute, little muffins. With the mini-cheesecake pan, all you have to do is press on the removable bottoms with your finger to pop out the muffins when done baking.
Banana Cinnamon Chip Muffin Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups ripe mashed banana
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream (not low fat)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon banana flavor
- 1 cup pecan or walnut pieces
- 3/4 cup cinnamon chips
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the mashed banana, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil, egg yolks, and vanilla together.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until the ingredients are mixed well. Fold in the nuts and chips.
- Fill the well-greased tins nearly full. Use all the batter for twelve standard muffins.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 400 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes or until done. Let sit for five minutes and remove the muffins from the pan to a rack to cool.
Streusel Topping (Optional)
- 1/3 cup pecan or walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
To make the streusel topping, combine all the ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly. Sprinkle over the muffins before baking.