The Mini Corn Dog Recipe
One package of eight good quality hot dogs cut crosswise
2 cups tempura batter mix
1 cup milk
1 large egg
16 wooden skewers about 4-inches long (cut longer skewers into shorter sticks)
- Insert the skewers into the ends of the hot dogs.
- In a large bowl, stir the batter mix, the egg, and the milk together. The batter will be thick.
- Pour one inch of oil into a large, heavy skillet or use a Fry Daddy. Heat to 365 degrees.
- Holding the hot dogs over the bowl of batter, spoon the batter onto the hot dogs and spread it around to completely cover them. See the picture to the right.
- Lay the coated hot dogs, 3 or 4 at a time, in the hot oil. Turn them with tongs after 10 to 15 seconds of cooking to prevent the batter from sliding off the hot dogs. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until golden brown, turning to brown evenly. Remove with tongs and drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dip, ketchup, or one of the dips listed on this page.
Variations on Mini Corn Dogs
Mini Bacon Corn Dogs
Fry six slices of bacon to a crisp and then crumble it chop it into pieces. A bacon press allows you to fry both sides at once and does so more uniformly and without a lot splatter. Mix the bacon pieces into the batter and prepare as above.
Mini Chili Corn Dogs
Mix two tablespoons mild, diced, canned green chilies into the batter and prepare as above.
Our Favorite Dips to Pair with Mini Corn Dogs
Apricot Mustard Dip
Add one tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard to every 1/4 cup apricot-pineapple jam. Add more jam or more mustard to suit your taste.
Sour Cream Salsa Dip
Mix sour cream and salsa together. Start with a 50/50 ratio and then alter the mix by adding more salsa or sour cream to suit your taste.