This slice and bake cookie recipe makes very good but unusual almond cookies. You can make light and dark cookies from the same batch—vanilla almond and chocolate almond slice and bake cookies.
These scrumptious little cookies are unusually light and crisp. If you are looking for a recipe that makes crisp almond cookies, try this one.
Vanilla and Chocolate Almond Cookie Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted but still warm
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add the almond extract and an egg and beat until combined. Add the second egg and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and the nuts and beat until combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide the dough in half. Place half of the dough back in the mixing bowl. Add the warm melted chocolate and granulated sugar to that half of the dough and beat until the chocolate is mixed throughout. Place the chocolate dough in the refrigerator while you work with the light-colored dough.
- Divide the light-colored dough in half and form logs of each half first by squeezing the dough into the approximate shape and then by rolling the dough on the counter while wrapped in waxed paper or parchment paper until the logs are smooth. The logs should be about an inch and one-half in diameter. Refrigerate the logs wrapped in the waxed paper.
- Remove the chocolate dough from the refrigerator and make two logs of that dough. If the chocolate dough is still too soft from the warm chocolate, refrigerate a few minutes longer. Refrigerate the logs for at least an hour or until very firm.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use ungreased baking sheets with a nonstick surface or parchment paper.
- Slice the logs with a sharp, serrated knife into 3/8-inch slices and place the slices on the cookie sheets. These cookies will spread so allow room on the sheets. Bake the cookies for ten or eleven minutes or until done. Immediately remove them to a wire rack to cool. The cookies will become crisp as they cool.