Take your desserts to the next level with real Bavarian cream. It really is a must-have filling for many desserts: cream puffs, pies, cupcakes, donuts, and more. Here, you can decide between making your own Bavarian cream with our recipe or using our pre-made Bavarian cream to make your life easier and tastier.
Homemade vs. Premade
Normally, I’d tell you that making anything from scratch is always better–even if you have to put a little extra work in it, but the line between “worth the effort” and “still has great taste” gets very blurry when it comes to Bavarian cream. Here’s why:
Homemade Bavarian Cream
- Great-tasting. You can’t get the same creamy taste from a Bavarian cream mix at the grocery store because they all come with pudding as the main ingredient. Homemade has ensured authenticity.
- Lots of effort. There may only be six steps in the recipe below, but they’re not exactly easy with lots of room for error. You’re sure to have a sore arm by the end of it, but the taste makes it worth it, right?
- Just enough for what you need. This recipe will give you about 2-3 cups of Bavarian cream.
Premade Bavarian Cream
- Great-tasting. The pre-made Bavarian cream may come in a tube, but it still has the same authentic taste without any pudding included. It’s real Bavarian cream.
- Lot’s of effort? All you have to do is clip off a corner of the packaging, squeeze out the the preferred amount onto your dessert, and store it for later use.
- Just enough for what you need… and more. Each pack of pre-made Bavarian cream is 2 pounds. That’s enough to make three banana cream pies.
So which one will you use for your puff pastries, filled donuts, cakes, and cream pies– homemade or pre-made? Try them both and let us know which you like best, but be ready to spend some extra time and money getting the homemade Bavarian cream just right.
Get Premade Bavarian Cream
Don’t have time to make your own Bavarian cream? Don’t worry. Get it premade now for just $2 per pound. Our Bavarian cream comes premade and in a tube, so all you have to do is clip off a corner, squeeze out as much as you care to use, and store it away in the fridge for future uses. Each pack is two pounds, can make up to three cream pies, and lasts for up to six months.
It’s pre-made, so you don’t have to waste any time making it yourself, and you can get it cheaper than the cost of the ingredients for homemade Bavarian cream.
The best part? It’s still authentic and tastes just like what you’d get from a bakeshop. It’s the same great taste as if you made it from scratch, but without all the extra hassle.
Get it for $2 per pound now! Add it to cart and use code “ZBPIE” at checkout.
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin, about one tablespoon
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon good quality vanilla extract 
- 1 1/4 cups whipped cream (second measure)
- Place the milk in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin into the milk and set aside.
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together.
- Heat the cream until it just starts to simmer. Do not boil. Slowly whisk the hot cream into the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- Cook the mixture in a double boiler or over simmering water, stirring until it starts to thicken and simmer. Remove the cream mixture from heat and stir in the milk and gelatin mixture. Add the vanilla.
- Pour the cream mixture into a bowl and place bowl in an ice bath and stir until the mixture cools to room temperature.
- Whip the second measure of whipped cream. Fold in the whipped cream. Refrigerate until you are ready to use the Bavarian Cream.