Everyone needs a good chocolate chip cookie in a refrigerator recipe. This chocolate chip slice and bake cookie is it. It is a tender cookie with a texture just a bit like sandies—not chewy or gooey like some chocolate chips. It’s more of an elegant cookie, but the kids sure like it.
Again, this is an extra-large recipe so that you can freeze or refrigerate what you don’t make immediately.
Chocolate Chip Slice and Bake Cookie Recipe
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups good quality chocolate chips, either dark chocolate or milk chocolate
- Measure the flour by scooping some into a bowl and then spooning the flour into the measuring cup. (If you measure packed flour, you will have too much.) Add the baking soda and stir to combine.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and salt together. Add the extracts. Beat in the eggs until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix in. Add the chocolate chips. With the mixer or your hands, mix the dough into a single mass.
- Divide the dough into three parts. Place each on sheets of waxed paper and roll the dough in the waxed paper into 1 3/4-inch diameter logs. Refrigerate the logs for at least two hours or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove one log from the refrigerator and cut it into slices a bit thicker than 1/4 inch. Use a sharp, serrated knife to cut through the chips.
- Put the slices on an ungreased baking sheet with room for expansion. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies just begin to turn brown. Repeat with the rest of the dough.