Surprise the family with one of these great rhubarb recipes. Strawberry rhubarb is a classic combination, and the flavors pair so well together. Here’s a few recipes to get you into the season.
Rhubarb Nut Crisp Recipe
I like rhubarb. I have a rhubarb plant in my back yard that has grown into a monster perennial. It takes no care and provides enough stalks for few rhubarb pies and crisps each spring.
This makes a great springtime dessert.A crisp can be served hot or cold with whipped cream or ice cream. This is another crisp that goes well with lemon cloud whipped cream.
This crisp is made with panko. While you can use a streusel topping, I usually use panko.
- 4 to 5 cups thinly sliced rhubarb pieces
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the rhubarb with the walnuts in a 9 x 9-inch baking pan. Add the 3/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons flour and toss well to evenly coat all pieces.
- Combine the Panko, cinnamon, the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup flour in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry knife until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake for 35 minutes. The rhubarb should be tender and the topping crisp. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
Strawberry Rhubarb Recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. A strawberry rhubarb pie is a classic. The tartness of the rhubarb complements the sweetness of the strawberries perfectly.
Strawberry Rhubarb Betty. This is a spring favorite, a combination of strawberries and rhubarb. It’s aclassic pie combination, but a betty is easier to make. If you don’t care for a pie crust, this is even better.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Dutch Crunch Topping. When I was a kid went to a local pie shop occasionally. I was always torn between lemon meringue and strawberry rhubarb. I think the strawberry rhubarb usually won out. To make it even better than those pies I remember, we added a Dutch crunch streusel topping.
(Updated From May 13, 2014)