Now you can make homemade maple syrup with maple flavoring instead of buying it from the store. This homemade maple syrup is very easy to make and surprisingly good. It takes just five simple ingredients and three easy steps. We doubt that you can tell it from most of the store brands.
The Best Homemade Maple Syrup for Outdoor Adventures
When we were younger, we went backpacking frequently. We would pack pancake mix, maybe with some nuts or dried fruit added. We would use this recipe for syrup.
We would pour the sugar into plastic bags and then add the maple flavoring directly to the sugar in plastic bags. The maple flavor in the sugar would create a dark sugar lump but the lump would dissolve in the water. That way, we didn’t have to pack liquid maple syrup, and the mix was quick to make on the trail.
Homemade Maple Syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar and water together and bring to a boil.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and add the cream of tartar, maple flavoring, and butter. Stir until smooth.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
(Updated from May 22, 2014)