If you like lasagna, you’ll love spaghetti pie
Making Spaghetti Pie in a Springform Pan
We made ours in a 9-inch springform pan, a Candy Apple Red Springform Pan but you can use a large, 3 1/2 to 4 quart, baking pan if your prefer.
Springform pans are essential for cheesecakes but we use springform pans for much more: Desserts, cornbread, coffeecake, and in this case—a casserole. They make for great presentations. The casserole or baked good can be set on the table as a centerpiece from which you can cut clean, neat slices.
Springform pans may leak at the seam. If your batter is thick, like many cornbread and coffeecake recipes, you won’t have to worry about it. This silicone pan has a much tighter seal and will accommodate much thinner batters. Still, we set it on a baking sheet to catch any dribbles. We have made spaghetti pies in both metal and silicone pans.
Spaghetti Pie Recipe
- 1/2 pound spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups, about 12 ounces, ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Zesty Pizza and Pasta Spice or other Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Cook the spaghetti until it is al dente, cooked but still firm. (You want it undercooked; it will continue to cook in the oven.)
- Sauté the onion, green pepper, and sausage until browned.
- Mix the ricotta cheese, the 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, eggs, oregano, salt, pepper, and basil together in a large bowl. Add the cooked meat and vegetable mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Assemble the pie by placing one half the noodles in the pan. Pour one half of the spaghetti sauce over the noodles. Spoon one half of the cheese and meat mixture over the spaghetti sauce. Cover the mixture with the other half of the noodles, then the rest of the spaghetti sauce, and finally, the rest of the cheese and meat mixture. Top the dish with the remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and set it on a baking sheet or splash guard to catch any dribbles while baking. Bake for 45 minutes or until just set or the center of the casserole measures 165 degrees with an insta-read thermometer.
- Remove the foil and bake for another five minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for ten minutes. Remove the ring and serve the pie.
- American Spaghetti Carbonara
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!