It’s hard to go wrong with chicken, new potatoes, and sour cream. This recipe mixes the three in a stovetop skillet meal that is easy and almost foolproof. It’s our favorite. It only has a few ingredients and you don’t have to slave over a five-course meal. Best of all, your family will love this dinner.
Chicken and New Potatoes Skillet Meal Recipe
- Chicken thighs or drumsticks
- salt and pepper to taste
- new (baby red) potatoes—as many as you choose to fill out the pan
- 4-6 green onions
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the chicken in a 12 inch skillet. Salt and pepper the pieces. Brown the chicken over medium heat.
- Partially peel the new potatoes. (They just look better with some of the red skins remaining.)
- Add the potatoes to the skillet. Cook the chicken and the potatoes until both are tender.
- Remove the chicken and potatoes to a platter. Skim off the excess fat remaining in the pan.
- Snip the green onions into the pan. Add the sour cream and water and heat the mixture until it starts to bubble, stirring frequently with a spatula.
- Add the peas, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir. Add the chicken and potatoes, cover the skillet, and heat for five minutes to reheat the chicken and potatoes. Serve hot.
(Updated from June 6, 2015)