Sweet potato hash browns make the more common breakfast side pale in comparison. They’re crisp, tender, and melt in your mouth. They’re also more nutritious. Pair them with this provolone steak, and you have a delicious meal.
You can put this nutritious meal together in about thirty minutes on the patio or in the kitchen: cook the steaks, cook the hash browns, and toss a salad together. Serve with sautéed mushrooms if desired. If you like steaks, you’ll like this.
Sweet Potato Hashbrown Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed marjoram, basil, or rosemary (your choice)
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet and sauté the onion dices.
- While the dices are cooking, peel the sweet potatoes with a potato peeler. Cut the sweet potatoes into slices or sticks. Place them in a microwave-safe bowl with about 1/4 cup water, cover with plastic, and cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave until almost tender—about two minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the onion. Add the desired spice and salt and pepper to taste. Cook the sweet potatoes until crusty on one side, turn and repeat, until done.
Provolone Steak Recipe
- 4 steaks, sirloin or other
- 8 deli slices of provolone cheese
- salt and pepper
- sliced mushrooms, optional
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, cook the steaks as desired on the grill or in the kitchen. Salt and pepper.
- When done, place them on a platter, set the cheese atop, and cover with a pie pan to let the cheese melt.
- While the sweet potatoes and steaks are cooking, heat ovenproof serving plates in an oven set at 200 degrees. Serve the steaks with sautéed mushrooms if desired along with the sweet potatoes on warm plates.
(Updated from May 25, 2014)