Time: 35 min | Yields: 6
We liked this unusual soup. Because of the curry in the soup, it reminded us of mulligatawny soup. Because it is processed with a blender, it is smooth and creamy. The apples and a touch of honey make it a little sweet but we thought there was a nice balance between the sweetness and the spices.
Getting a Balance of Flavors
Be sure to use sweet summer onions for this soup, like Sweet Vandalia. The pungent flavor of onions tends to lessen with cooking. For a sweeter, less pungent flavor, make sure the onions are cooked until soft.
There is no need to core the apples. We used a box grater and grated the apples to the core, turning the apples as we went.
Because you don’t have to peel and core the apples and because the onions sauté quickly, this is a quick and easy soup to make—sauté, process, and reheat.
- 2 jumbo onions, sliced and coarsely chopped—about 5 cups
- 3 medium apples, grated with the skins left on
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon honey or to taste
- In a large pan, sauté the onions, apple, and curry in the butter until the onions are translucent and soft. Add the chicken broth and continue cooking for about ten minutes.
- In a blender, process the soup until the onions are finely ground and the mixture is smooth. Return the soup to the pan.
- Add the milk to the soup and reheat. Add the salt, pepper, and honey and stir well. Serve hot.
Baker’s Notes: Different brands of chicken broth will contain different amounts of salt so you will need to adjust the salt to taste. We used 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
We found that two tablespoons of honey was a little too sweet for our taste and that one was just right—but use whatever you like.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!