Time: 50 min | Yields: 7
This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead. It’s an excellent soup.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 stalks celery, diced (about 5 to 6 cups)
- salt to taste
- 2/3 cup cream
- Sauté the onion dices and celery in the butter until the onion is tender and translucent but not browned. Add the flour and cook while stirring until the butter and flour are combined into a thick paste. The cooking should only last a minute or two and the flour should not be browned.
- While still cooking, pour in 1/2 cup of the broth while stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the rest of the broth, stirring to make the mixture smooth and not lumpy as if you were making gravy. Continue cooking until the mixture is bubbly and has thickened. The vegetables should be soft and tender.
- Pour two to three cups of the liquid into your blender. Puree the mixture until it is smooth. Continue in batches until the entire soup is puréed.
- Pour the soup through a strainer into a clean pan. Press any pieces through the sieve with the back of a spoon.
- Salt the soup to taste. Add the cream. If the soup needs further thinning, add water. Reheat and serve.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!