Complete Culinary School without Tuition!
Learn the art and science of baking with our free “How to Bake” ebook. With 453 pages, you will learn the techniques the pros use.
Time: 50 min | Yields: 5
This is a great broccoli soup. You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli pieces (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- salt to taste
- 2/3 cup cream
- Sauté the onion in the butter. Add the flour and cook while stirring until the butter and flour are combined into a thick paste. The cooking should only last a minute or two and the flour should not be browned.
- While still cooking, pour a little of the stock into the flour and stir to dissolve. Gradually add the rest of the stock, stirring with each addition. Continue cooking until the base simmers–which is bubbling, just below the boiling point. It will thicken as it cooks to the consistency of a light sauce.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft enough to mash easily.
- Pour the soup into a blender in batches, two or three cups at a time, and puree until the broccoli is smooth. Pass the pureed soup through a strainer to catch any lumps. Press the lumps through the strainer with the back of a spoon. Discard any solids.
- Salt the soup to taste. Add the cream. If the soup needs further thinning, add water. Reheat and serve.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Learn more at the “Cream Soups and Chowders Resource Center.“
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Soup Guide: A Beginner’s Guide to the Best Soups on the Planet
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!