Time: 50 min | Yields: 10
To us, this is the ultimate comfort food. We have fond memories of chicken soup simmering on the stovetop and Mom rolling out rich egg noodles on the counter. You’ll find this comfort food easy to prepare. Simmer the chicken soup with vegetables, mix the easy egg dough, roll the dough out and slice it into noodles with a sharp knife, and drop the noodles in the simmering soup.
What follows is a wonderful chicken soup recipe that you can use with potatoes, rice, homemade noodles, or pasta. This recipe can also be made with boneless turkey meat. If you choose to make chicken soup with homemade egg noodles, use the following recipe for homemade egg noodles.
For a recipe for chicken and dumplings, click here.
Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler chicken or large fryer
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed sage
- 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups carrot slices (optional)
- 3/4 cup rice, 2 cups chunked potatoes, or noodles
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (optional)
- Rinse and drain the chicken. Place the chicken in a large pan, add water and salt, spices and herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- After 20 minutes, add the onion, celery, and optional carrots. Add potato chunks or rice if desired and if you are not using noodles. (Do not add noodles yet.)
- Continue simmering for another 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. When the chicken is tender, turn the heat off.
- Remove the chicken to a large platter or bowl, remove the skin and discard, and let the chicken cool enough that you can debone the meat—about fifteen minutes. Remove the meat from the bones and cut into chunks.
- Skim the fat from the chicken broth and vegetables and discard.
- Place flour into a small bowl or large cup. Remove about one cup of broth from the pan. Add a little broth to the flour, stir the flour to moisten, and then add more broth a little at a time until the entire cup of broth is added, stirring after each addition to remove lumps.
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the broth. Add the chicken chunks. Add the two cups milk.
8. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the soup has thickened. If you are adding homemade noodles, flour from the noodles will further thicken the soup.
9. Add the noodles if you are using noodles. Add the peas if desired. Continue cooking until tender. Serve hot.
This recipe can also be made in a crock pot or slow cooker. For a low fat version, use chicken breast meat.
Easy Homemade Egg Noodles Recipe
The chicken soup is good, but these homemade egg noodles to go with it will blow your mind!
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!