Time: 30 min | Yields: 7
This is a creamy potato soup—a little different than a chowder—and topped with cheddar and bacon. This is a soup that everyone will like.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 15-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 3 medium russet potatoes, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (for garnish)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and snipped into pieces
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and just comes to a boil.
- Scoop the pulp from the potatoes and add to the soup. Cook again until thick.
- Add the cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until the cheese is melted the soup is thin.
- Serve with grated cheese, bacon, and green onion on top.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!