Breakfast burritos are the lesser-known great American breakfast. They’re quick and easy to make and grab on your way out the door. Scramble some eggs, cook some sausage, and roll it all together in a tortilla–the fastest, most filling breakfast on-the-go you’ve ever had.
This one has a Mexican flare with chilies and salsa. You can substitute ingredients to suit your family’s tastes.
Today we’ll tell you how to make breakfast burritos, so you can design your own exactly how you and your family want.
Breakfast Burrito Variations
The following recipe is only a suggestion to get you started; try any of the variations below:
- Chicken burritos
- Country breakfast burritos with country sausage, hashbrowns patties or tater tots, and country gravy
- Any other favorite mixes of meats, cheeses, and veggies
Mexican Breakfast Burrito Recipe
This is a family-size recipe that makes four large (two egg) burritos. Reduce the quantities of ingredients for smaller recipes.
- 1 pound country-style sausage
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 4-ounce can diced chilies, drained
- 8 large flour tortillas
- shredded cheddar cheese
- salsa (optional)
- In a medium to large frying pan, cook the sausage and drain the grease from it. Remove the sausage from the pan and set it aside.
- Sauté the bell pepper and onion until just tender. Remove the veggies from the pan and set them aside.
- Whisk the eggs until smooth and cook them over low heat, stirring regularly. Add salt and pepper.
- When the eggs are partially done, add the sausage, sautéed vegetables, drained chilies and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Finish cooking the scrambled eggs.
- Spoon the scrambled eggs onto the tortillas. Immediately top with more grated cheese and salsa. Serve hot.
Complete Culinary School without Tuition!
Learn the art and science of baking with our free “How to Bake” ebook. With 453 pages, you will learn the techniques the pros use.
That’s a Wrap!
Learn how to make a perfect sandwich wrap with recommended recipes.
(Updated from May 24, 2014)