This is a cherry variation of the classic spritz cookie. It’s a simple recipe that makes pretty, pink, pressed cookies. You’ll need some cherry flavor, red food coloring, and maybe some maraschino cherries for decoration. These are fun cookies to make.
How to Make Spritz Cookies
Classic spritz cookies are crisp, buttery, and sweet to easily keep their shape. Simply make the dough, load it into a cookie press, and press the cookies onto the pan. They always turn out beautiful, but they’re also super easy. Consider Spritz cookies as your new go-to holiday cookie.
Cherry Spritz Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 teaspoons cherry flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 drops red food coloring
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together to disperse the baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg, milk or cream, the cherry flavor, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Continue beating until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture in three parts, beating after each. Add enough red food coloring to make a pink dough.
- Load the dough into a cookie press and press cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet leaving at least 1/2 inch between cookies. Decorate with candies, maraschino cherries, or sprinkles.
- Bake for six to eight minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Remove the cookies from the pan to cool on wire racks.
More Spritz Cookies to Make
(Updated from May 22, 2014)