Delight your family with this pecan-crusted cherry cream cheese-stuffed French toast. It tastes like a sticky pecan roll with the crunchy crust from the pecans and a custardy, pillowy middle. The filling is like a cherry cheesecake with cherry jam mixed with cream cheese, but you can make any cheesecake-like filling with your favorite jams.
Easy Pecan-Crusted, Cherry Cheesecake-Stuffed French Toast Recipe
This is a stovetop French toast. To get the nuts to stick, we dredge the sandwiches in egg wash batter and then lightly press the sandwich into chopped pecans. The heat from the griddle or pan toasts the nuts.
We’ve tried this with other nuts and coconut, but it’s hard to beat the pecans. The cherry filling is outstanding. (As I write this, I think I would like to try this with chopped peanuts.)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- about 2/3 cup cherry jam
- bread slices
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Finely chop the pecans. We used a Deluxe Stainless Steel Nut and Veggie Chopper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream cheese, sour cream, and extract. Fold in the jam.
- Spread the cherry and cream cheese mixture between two slices of bread sandwich-style.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together. Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture and then dredge the egg-coated sandwiches in the crushed pecans.
- Cook the coated sandwiches on a hot griddle or in a frying pan first on one side and then the other. Serve immediately with strawberry syrup or maple syrup.
Yield is about four double French toast sandwiches.
Fruit and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Variations
Instead of cherry jam, try other jams of your choosing. Consider Boysenberry Jam, Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, Lingonberry Jam, or any one of our many gourmet jams and jellies. Mix the jam or jelly with the cream cheese.
More Crusted French Toast Variations
You can crust your French toast with anything from chopped nuts to coconut or crushed cereal. Try out any of the following recipes:
- Cornflake-Crusted French Toast
- Cinnamon-Crusted French Toast
- Orange-Crusted French Toast
- Sweet Coconut-Crusted French Toast
- How to Bake Like a Pro with Pastry Fillings! We use pastry fillings in anything from French toast to turnovers and cinnamon rolls to give any treat a burst of flavor.
- How to Make Scrumptious Weekend Breakfasts! Make 12 more scrumptious lazy weekend breakfasts like diner-style hash browns, banana bread French toast, and restaurant-quality pancakes.
- Tips for French Toast! These great tips will help you to never have overcooked, soggy, or flavorless French toast again.
- French Fried PB&J Stuffed French Toast! Often, we make PB&J as a simple sandwich, but this battered and fried French toast sandwich takes the classic pairing to the next level.
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!