This fry bread recipe is very similar to yeasted fry bread. It uses baking powder for leavening instead of yeast. Some also call it Portuguese donuts because of the similarities to fried donuts. It is best served hot and with syrup or jam.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together. Add the milk and stir with a fork until combined.
- Remove the dough to the counter and knead the ingredients together to get a smooth dough.
- Form patties three to four inches in diameter and 3/8-inches thick.
- Fill a frying pan with vegetable oil to about 3/4-inches deep. Heat the oil to medium-high. Cook the patties until golden brown, turning once.
Baker’s note: If your temperature is too high, the bread will not be cooked clear through before the outer surface burns.
More Fried Bread Recipes
If you want more fried bread recipes like these Portuguese donuts, you can try any of the recipes below:
(Updated from May 14, 2014)