Italian Zeppole is more like a pastry than a bread–the classic Italian donut, and they are so simple to make and scrumptious. Just make the cream cheese and egg-rich batter and drop it into hot oil by the spoonful to fry. Kids will go nuts over these.
Easy Zeppole–Just Scoop and Fry
Italian zeppole can be easier to make than drop cookies. Just mix the batter together, scoop it out by the spoonful, and fry it in hot oil. Once it’s golden, all you need to do is pat out the excess oil and cover your fried Italian pastries in a dusting of powdered sugar and enjoy. It’s that easy, and your zeppole will be one of the best fried desserts you’ve ever tasted.
- 1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- powdered sugar
- Place the cream cheese in a saucepan over low heat. Whisk the two eggs together in a cup. Stirring often, heat the cream cheese until it melts. Add the eggs and blend in. Add the vanilla.
- Mix the flour, salt, and granulated sugar together in a bowl. Add these dry ingredients to the pan with the cream cheese mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil to medium-high. Drop the batter into the hot oil by tablespoons, three or four at a time. Cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll the pastries in the powdered sugar or dust with powdered sugar. Serve while still warm.
(Updated from May 14, 2014)