This is Jenny’s caramel green apple popcorn. It’s sweet, gooey, and pretty close to being a caramel apple in the form of popcorn. The sweet, buttery caramel popcorn pairs perfectly with the tart apple flavor, and the green food coloring just makes it fun! It’s a recipe the kids are sure to love.
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup (Karo)
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Apple Flavor
- 1 teaspoon Caramel Flavor
- 3 drops Electric Green food coloring gel or equal
Yields 14 cups of candy popcorn. This recipe can also be doubled successfully.
- Pop the popcorn kernels. Set aside in 2 large bowls.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the corn syrup and water. Stir.
- Add the sugar. Make sure not to let any sugar stick to the edges of the pan. If one grain of sugar is left undissolved, it can cause the whole batch to crystallize.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 235-245 degrees. (Please use a candy thermometer). It is important for the mixture to reach this temperature, if it doesn’t the candy will not harden properly.
- Add the baking soda and stir quickly as the mixture begins to bubble. Once bubbly and frothy, remove the pan from heat.
- Add the flavor and food coloring until mixed in.
- Pour over the popped popcorn in both bowls. Fold into the popcorn until evenly coated.
- Merri Ann’s Famous Caramel Popcorn: There’s a good reason why this ooey, gooey caramel popcorn is so famous.
- What You Can Make with a Flavored Syrup: See what else you can make with a flavored syrup, from homemade punch to popsicles.
Complete Culinary School without Tuition!
Learn the art and science of baking with our free “How to Bake” ebook. With 453 pages, you will learn the techniques the pros use.
(Updated from May 12, 2014)