If you are going to have a party, make it a brownie pizza party. It’s going to be fun—brownies and pizza just sound like fun and you can tailor them any way you’d like and to any tastes.
I’m partial to brownie pizzas with fruit but we have made them without fruit. For me, it’s simple and casual. Debbie, my daughter, builds neat works of art.
They work for a family. We’ve made them and served them to hundreds of people. They call that scalable—it works for two or two hundred.
Guidelines for Success
- Pick what you want to top your pizzas with. Consider tastes. If you are using fruit, you need to build them just before serving. You can’t leave cut fruit at room temperatures for long and fruit tends to bleed if you refrigerate your fruit pizzas.
- Pick your brownie or cookie mixes. Our Uncle Bob’s Extra Moist Brownie Mix makes thick brownies and works well in a 14-inch pizza pan. That’s a 21 ounce mix that calls for eggs. If you use a smaller batch mix, scale down the pan size.
- The brownies are the basis for the pizzas. Your pizzas will be no better than your brownies.
- Consider baking times. Because the batter is not as deep, they will bake faster than normal. In a 14-inch dark pizza pan, we’re baking ours in about 15 minutes.
- Consider serving size. To serve in the store, we cut our 14-inch pizzas into eighteen slices. Those are pretty narrow slices and about the equivalent of 2×3-inches. If you pile a bunch of goodies on top of 2×3-inch brownie, that’s a generous serving.
- Consider a smaller pan. We’ve used those same mixes and baked each in two nine- or ten-inch pie pans. The brownies are a little thicker than if baked in a single 14-inch pan.
- Consider how you are going to eat them. If the brownies are firm and you don’t pile too much on top, you can pick them up and eat them with your hands. If not, serve them on a plate with a fork.
For fruit pizzas, sliced strawberries, bananas, and kiwi work well. Berries work well. Chocolate in any form works.
We love Designer Dessert Sauces. They are perfect for drizzles, just the right consistency, and come in a variety of great intense flavors. We consider those almost as important as the brownie mix.
Additional Topping ideas:
- Chopped nuts.
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate whipped cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup toffee chips
- M & M candies
- Maraschino cherries
- Gummy Bears
- Cake decorations
- Miniature marshmallows
- Chopped peanuts
- Chocolate syrup