The 4th of July is filled with memories for most people. For me, the memories that flash through my mind include the time when I accidentally shot a bottle rocket at my high school boyfriend (don’t worry, he was fine), when I went out on my good friend’s boat to the middle of Lake Washington to watch fireworks, and when I rode my bike with my cousins at our annual family 4th party.
The 4th is coming and it’s time to make new memories with these fun and delicious red, white and blue treats. It’s gotten me in a patriotic mood, and we hope it does the same for you!
We loved making this trifle because it was easy. We also used the scraps from our flag cake (above) to create the trifle. So if you have multiple events to go to or a lot of people to serve treats to, this is your recipe combined with the flag cake above.
1 Prepared Pantry Vanilla Babycakes mix, made according to directions
1-2 drops of red food color
1-2 drops of blue food color
whipped cream (see recipe below)
strawberries, washed and sliced
1. Make the cake mix according to the directions. Divide the batter in half. Use the red food color to dye one half of the batter and the blue food color to dye the second half. If the 1-2 drops of dye aren’t enough add some more.
2. Cook the cake in two 8-inch round pans according to directions, until done.
3. Let the cake layers cool and then cut into 1-inch chunks using a bread knife. It’s okay if the chunks are a little messy or uneven, it will look beautiful in layers.
4. In a trifle dish layer half of the blue chunks in the bottom of the dish. Top with a layer of whipped cream, and then a layer of blueberries.
5. Next, place a layer of red cake chunks, followed by a layer of whipped cream and a layer of sliced strawberries.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the top of the trifle dish is reached.
7. Make sure the top layer of the trifle is whipped cream, then top with strawberries and blueberries in a design for a professional look.
For the Whipped Cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 Tablespoon meringue powder
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon Madagascar Vanilla Flavor
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Beat/whip until high peaks
- Prepared Pantry Vanilla Babycakes
- Red food color
- Blue food color
- Heavy whipping cream
- Meringue powder
- Madagascar Vanilla Flavor