By Casey Archibald
The 4th of July is filled with memories for most people. For me, the memories that flash through my mind include the time when I accidentally shot a bottle rocket at my high school boyfriend (don’t worry, he was fine), when I went out on my good friend’s boat to the middle of Lake Washington to watch fireworks, and when I rode my bike with my cousins at our annual family 4th party.
The 4th is coming and it’s time to make new memories with these fun and delicious red, white and blue treats. It’s gotten me in a patriotic mood, and we hope it does the same for you!
black licorice rope
1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Stir the chocolate between each interval. Add the red or blue food color until the desired color is reached. Stir in the color.
2. Dip the pretzel rods in the chocolate, leaving enough space at the bottom for people to hold onto with their fingers. Lay the dipped pretzels onto a piece of parchment paper on a flat surface.
3. Quickly, before the chocolate hardens, sprinkle the rods with the patriotic sprinkles and the Pop Rocks.
4. Snip pices about a ½-inch long of the black licorice rope and attach to the top of each rod on the melted chocolate. If the chocolate is too hard, dip one end of the rope into the bowl of warm chocolate to glue it onto the pretzel rod. Let harden and serve.
- Pretzels rods
- White chocolate melting wafers or chips 
- Red  or blue  food color
- Patriotic sprinkles 
- Pop Rocks
- black licorice rope