You can use that turkey in a main dish, a salad, a soup, and sandwich. Once you decide what you what to do with your turkey, pull out a recipe book or look online for a recipe to fit your mood. Be sure and look at both chicken and turkey recipes; they are interchangeable.
1. Make a main dish: This is a catch-all. There are skillions of main dishes that you can make with your turkey. Consider turkey tacos or enchiladas, casseroles, turkey pot pies, turkey a la king, and turkey with rice. Sauté onions, celery, and peppers, add turkey, steamed rice and bits of dried fruit. Try a turkey curry with apples, peanuts, and raisins. Make Santa Fe turkey with beans and corn spiced with Mexican flavors and served with corn chips. Make some cashew turkey. Stir up some pasta with julienne-cut or cubed turkey. You get the idea. If you want a main dish, you’ll find plenty of casserole-like ideas.
2. Make a salad: Turkey goes well in a pasta salad, a green salad, or a fruit salad. A tossed salad with turkey and halved grapes sprinkled with parmesan or grated mozzarella is one of our favorites. A turkey and apple salad or turkey with cantaloupe chunks is wonderful. Toss some walnuts in and serve with a creamy honey dressing. In the list below, you’ll find some more salad ideas.
3. Brew a soup: You can make a quick stew with turkey pieces, leftover gravy, and chopped vegetables. The cookbooks are full of chicken soup recipes—use turkey. One of our favorites is black bean chili. You can find that and several other soup recipes in the list below.
4. Of course, make a sandwich: Think beyond the standard white and wheat breads. Turkey pairs up wonderfully with a great bread, whether that is a sweet bread or a savory bread. Consider rolls or buns. What are our favorites? Tuscany Tomato Basil Bread for a more savory sandwich and Cranberry Nut Bread for a sweeter bread.
Favorite Turkey Recipes
Remember, chicken and turkey can be used interchangeably in these and most recipes.
• Chicken, Bacon, and Tomato Salad
• Almond Chicken Salad with Creamy Honey cinnamon Dressing
• Broccoli, Ham, and Pineapple Salad
• Turkey Pot Pie, Turkey Pot Pie 2
• Taco Turkey Salad
• Turkey Enchiladas
• Hawaiian Breakfast Enchiladas
• Chicken ‘n’ Apple Sandwiches
• Green Bean and Turkey Pot Pie
• Homemade Hot Pockets