Time: 45 min | Yields: 3
This is a very good soup. It will remind you of a chicken and rice soup but with bright orzo and a distinct lemon flavor. If you would like a less intense lemon flavor, add only half of the lemon that we used.
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter
2 14.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
1/3 cup lemon juice
zest from one lemon
1/2 cup lemon garlic orzo pasta
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper
- In a large pan, fry the chicken in olive oil until the chicken is fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, stir the chicken broth, lemon juice and lemon zest together. In a large saucepan, make a roux by melting the three tablespoons butter, on medium heat, and then stirring 1/4 cup flour into the butter until combined. Slowly add the chicken broth mixture to the roux.
- Once all of the broth mixture is added to the roux, turn up the heat to medium high to boil the soup mixture. Once the soup has boiled, add the 1/2 cup lemon garlic orzo pasta and turn the heat to medium low and cook for fifteen minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon onion powder. Salt and pepper to taste if needed. Garnish with curly leaf parsley and serve warm.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!