Time: 45 min | Yields: 7
This is a great chicken soup. It is much more flavorful than most and yet is easy to make—you can use leftover chicken or turkey and chicken broth.
1 cup carrot, finely diced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup uncooked rice
4 cups canned chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper as needed
1 14-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
2 cups cooked chicken meat, cubed
fresh cilantro, snipped
- In a large pan or Dutch oven, sauté the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers (discarding all seeds and membrane before dicing) in the one tablespoon of butter for about five minutes or until the carrots begin to cook.
- Add the rice, chicken broth, rosemary, ginger, and bay leaf to the vegetable mixture. Cook until the rice is nearly tender.
- Remove the bay leaf from the broth mixture and then add the corn and chicken. Heat to simmering. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Learn more at the “Cream Soups and Chowders Resource Center.“
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Soup Guide: A Beginner’s Guide to the Best Soups on the Planet
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!