Don’t tell the kids that the secret ingredient is carrots.
I know a carrot pie sounds strange—but a carrot cake doesn’t. It looks like pumpkin pie and tastes like pumpkin pie. (Once you know about the carrots, you can taste them.) Try it. It’s a great pie—nutritious, delicious, and economical.
You will need a deep-dish, nine-inch pie pan for this dessert.
3 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked and pureed or mashed carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
2 tablespoons flour
1 can (12 fluid ounces) evaporated milk
A single crust for a deep-dish nine-inch pie.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
2. Add the sugars and salt and stir till dissolved.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour the filling into an unbaked pie shell.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.