Time: 45 min | Yields: 8
Make this scrumptious broccoli cheese soup with either fresh or frozen broccoli. Add homemade noodles if you like.
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
5 cups milk
1 10 oz. bag frozen broccoli spears or two cups fresh broccoli florets
1 peeled, grated carrot
2 teaspoons minced onions
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups homemade noodles (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and minced onions and stir to make a thick paste.
- Add the milk a little at a time, stirring after each addition. Defrost and drain the broccoli if using frozen broccoli. Chop the broccoli into pieces as desired. Add the broccoli to the milk mixture in the saucepan. If you are adding homemade noodles, do so now.
- Cook the soup, stirring often, until thick and bubbly. The broccoli (and noodles) should be tender. If not, simmer until it is. Remove from the heat, add the cheese, and stir until the cheese is melted and soup is smooth.
Baker’s note: Homemade noodles are not hard to make. See how to make your own homemade noodles.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!