Food Cake Mix
Angel Food Cake Pan
1 1/4 cup cake or pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
1. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. Separate the eggs. Scald the milk.
3. Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl for five minutes then add the zest, milk, and vanilla. Continue beating, gradually adding the 1 cup of sugar. Beat until the mixture thickens and doubles in volume.
4. Fold the flour mixture into the eggs, about one fourth at a time.
5. In a separate bowl with clean betters, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. (Do not contaminate the whites with even a little yolk. The fat in the yolks will inhibit the formation of the whites.) Drizzle in the 1/2 cup sugar as you beat until the whites form stiff peaks.
6. Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Scrape the batter into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until done. When done, the cake will spring back to the touch. Immediately invert the tube pan over the neck of a bottle and let cool in the inverted position.
Old-Fashioned Lemon Sauce
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup water
the zest from two lemons
4 tablespoons butter
yellow food coloring (optional)
1. Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan.
2. Add the lemon juice, water and zest and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture boils. Gently boil for a few minutes or until the mixture thickens.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and optional food coloring. Cool until the sauce thickens to serving consistency.