When the summer produce arrives, make a salad. It’s easy to make a tossed green salad, a garden salad, and add whatever veggies you have to it. You can add a creamy dressing like ranch or thousand island but we usually use a vinaigrette.
- See this collection of vinaigrette recipes >> 
- Get a great deal on a salad dressing genie >> 
- See the recipes that you can make with a genie >> 
We don’t know when we have enjoyed a dressing as much as the dressing we introduced last week. It works very well with any tossed green salad.
Making a Potato Salad without the Potatoes
We’ve learned that we can make a potato salad without the potatoes. The star of the show can be broccoli or blanched green beans or corn cut from the cob or peas and carrots. Scan through the potato salad recipes for inspiration and then be adventuresome. Use the dressing called for in the chosen potato salad dressing—dressing made with mayonnaise, sour cream, or salad dressing—and then add veggies until you get it right. If you want to make a main dish, add meat or cheese.
Pineapple, Broccoli, and Ham Salad
This is one of those salad recipes where you can add what looks right. Not enough green? Add a little broccoli. Not sweet enough? Add a little more pineapple. We’ll give you the amounts that we used but do what seems right for you.
Salad dressing is a little tangier than mayonnaise and complements the sweetness of the pineapple well.
This is a very quick, easy to make salad.
florets from one head of broccoli
1/2 pound deli meat, ham or other
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
1. Cut and wash the broccoli. Trim and discard the stems. (Or if you choose to save the stems, peel the skins.)
2. Cut the deli meat into strips.
3. Mix the broccoli, meat, walnuts, and pineapple together. Add salad dressing and stir until combined. Serve chilled.