4 cups rolled oats, wheat, or barley (any combination)
3/4 finely diced dried apricots
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon maple flavor
3/4 cup sunflower seeds or walnuts
1. Place the rolled grains in a large bowl. Finely dice the dried apricots and set them aside.
2. In another bowl mix the syrup, oil, salt, and flavor together.
3. Add the liquid to the grains and mix thoroughly. The liquids will be absorbed and the granola will become darker and shinier. Add the nuts or seeds.
4. Spread the granola in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until fairly dry and starting to brown. Stir every ten minutes while it is baking to keep the granola on the bottom from burning.
5. Remove the granola from the oven and stir in the apricots.
1. Granola will become crispier and crunchier as it cools.
2. Because of the oil, granola will not stay fresh long. Store in an airtight container and use within two weeks.