The sweet and sour onions make this meatloaf moist and flavorful. We recommend our lean meatloaf pan so that the fat from the meatloaf can drain away for lean, healthier meatloaf.
1 large onion, diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
1 tablespoon butter
4 slices soft bread, broken into crumbs
1/2 cup milk
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté the onions and celery in the butter until tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk.
- Add the onions, celery, ground beef, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Form a loaf in an ungreased baking pan.
- Top with 1/3 of the prepared onions. (Recipe follows.)
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until done. The center of the loaf should test 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Serve the meatloaf with the remainder of the onions.
Sweet and Sour Onions
2 large onions cut into slices and then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup apricot jam
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
In a skillet, sauté the sliced onions in the butter until translucent. Add the soy sauce, jam, sugar, vinegar, and water. Add the garlic powder and ground ginger. Simmer the mixture until the water has nearly evaporated and the onions are in a caramelized sauce. Stir in the salt and pepper, adding more to taste. Set aside.