Mixed fruit salads should be easy and showcase fresh fruit. Any flavors that we add should be background flavors, a pallet for the fruit, and not mask the fresh fruit flavor. Here we are suggesting three ways to do this:
- Use a couple teaspoons of honey to sweeten the fruit and serve.
- Make a cream sauce to drizzle over the fruit
- Purchase a cream sauce. Coconut cream syrup is our favorite for fruit salads. It is very, very good.
You can change the fruit in this recipe to whatever is available and to suit your tastes.
For the salad:
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey or drizzle with cream syrup (recipe follows)
2 peaches, diced
1 banana, sliced
1 cup red or green grapes, cut in half
1 cup raspberries or strawberries (slice the strawberries)
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
- Whisk together the lemon juice and honey in a large bowl.
- Add the fruit and toss gently but thoroughly to coat.
- Add the optional coconut, tossing gently.
- Chill thoroughly before eating and store in the refrigerator.
For the cream syrup:
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 cup cream or half and half
3 tablespoons butter
1 dash of cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1. In a heavy saucepan, mix the brown sugar and corn starch together until the corn starch is well dispersed in the sugar. Stir in the cream.
2. Heat the sauce until it boils and thickens, stirring with a whisk. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter. Add the vanilla and cinnamon.