Remember those chocolate malts that we used to enjoy at the corner drug store? This old-fashioned pudding will remind you of those days. It is much, much better than those box pudding mixes from the store.
Chocolate Malt Pudding
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup malted milk powder (we use Carnation brand usually found in the hot drink section of the grocery store)
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups milk
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine the cornstarch, malted milk powder, half of the sugar with 1/2 cup of the milk. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the egg and egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
2. In a heavy saucepan, cook the remaining 2 cups of milk and the remaining sugar until it boils for several minutes.
3. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the hot milk while whisking the mixture to keep it smooth. Cook until bubbles rise through the liquid but not to a boil. Remove from the heat.
4. Melt the chocolate chips and the butter in the microwave. Stir the melted chocolate into the hot pudding.
5. Pour the pudding into serving dishes or a casserole dish. Cover the pudding surface with waxed paper placed directly on the pudding. Let cool for one hour and then place in the refrigerator to chill.
Click here for the printable version of this article.