These cupcakes are made with a yellow cake mix and Bavarian cream. Butterscotch flavor is added to both to give them a butterscotch flavor. With the butterscotch flavor, the filling tastes like butterscotch pudding. The frosting is a browned butter frosting. It is very good.
You can make these cream cupcakes without the butterscotch flavor.
1 yellow boxed cake mix
2 teaspoons butterscotch flavor
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the cupcakes according the package instructions adding the butterscotch flavor.
- For the filing, mix the Bavarian cream and 1/2 teaspoon butterscotch flavor together in a small bowl.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, fill the centers of the cupcakes with the cream filling: Assemble a pastry bag with a star tip. Press the tip through the top of a cupcake and press to insert the filling into the cupcake until the cupcake starts to swell. Repeat with the remainder of the cupcakes.
- Frost with the browned butter frosting.
Browned Butter Frosting
3/4 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon butterscotch flavor
3-4 tablespoons milk as needed to reach the right consistency
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan until it has started to brown. Watch it closely. It should be just amber in color, not dark brown.
- Let the browned butter cool for a few minutes then pour the clearer liquid off the top into a small bowl leaving the dark solids and a little liquid in the pan. Place the browned butter in the refrigerator to cool for about an hour. It should cool to a gel.
- Add the flavor and browned butter to the powdered sugar in a large bowl. Whip with an electric mixer. Thin with additions of milk as needed.
- Frost and decorate as desired.