The following recipe was found on Alicia’s Kitchen and used by permission.
This is one of many “standard” cornbread recipes. Note that the amount of cornmeal is equal to the amount of flour. Since this recipe calls for 1/4 cup sugar, it will be slightly sweet. For a less sweet cornbread, reduce the sugar to two tablespoons.
If you prefer butter to shortening, use 1/4 cup butter. If you use salted butter, reduce the salt in the recipe to 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tbsp. shortening melted and cooled
- Sift first 4 ingredients.
- Mix in cornmeal.
- Blend egg, milk, shortening until mixed.
- Add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Use greased (bottom only) 8x8x2 pan.
- Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes.