This is a great summer dessert. It calls for strawberries but you can make a similar dessert with raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries. Peaches work too. Alter the flavors in the filling along with the fruit.
5 cups sliced strawberries plus a few whole strawberries for garnish (about two pounds)
1 tablespoon Instant Clearjel
1/3 cup granulated sugar
11/3 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon orange flavoring or to taste
2/3 cup yogurt
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup Bavarian cream (see notes)
whipped cream from a spray can.
- Mix the Instant Clearjel and sugar together in a medium bowl. Add the sliced strawberries and toss. Set aside.
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form adding the 4 tablespoons sugar and orange flavor. Fold the yogurt into the whipped cream.
- Toss the berries again. Spoon the berries and the whipped filling into parfait or other glasses in layers. Top with whipped cream. Serve within three hours.
- A strawberry slicer will allow you to slice the strawberries thinly.
- Instead of Bavarian cream, we have also made this with the same amount of plain yogurt and it was very good. We used plain yogurt with gelatin so that the gelatin would add subsistence to the filling to extend the holding time.
- Instant Clearjel is a starch product that gels without cooking. You can make this recipe with cornstarch but you would need to cook a slurry with a little water, let it cool, and then add the strawberries. Avoid cooking the strawberries.
- Whipped cream from a spray can allows for a neat decorative presentation. You can also whip cream and pipe it onto the desserts with a pastry bag.