Time: 45 min | Yields: 10
This is a hearty and complete meal. The soup is made with ground beef, tomatoes, corn, garlic, and chili powder. The dumplings are made with corn meal. Corn, beef, and chili—that’s a southwestern dish.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups canned or frozen corn, drained
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans of beef broth
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the ground beef and stir in the onion and garlic. Brown over medium heat and then drain the fat.
- Add the corn, tomatoes, and beef broth. Add the spices: basil, chili powder, thyme, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
For the dumplings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
1 cup drained corn
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt together.
- In another, bowl whisk the egg and milk together. Add the cheese, corn, and parsley to the egg mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moistened.
- Drop the dough by tablespoons into simmering soup. Cover the soup with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes without lifting lid. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into a dumpling. It will come out clean if done.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!