These are pretty cutout cookies. You can make these sandwich cookies with seedless raspberry jam, black current jelly, or red current jelly but we thought seedless marionberry jam was just right. The jam is mixed with cream cheese.
If you don’t like poppy seeds, leave them out. Of course, you can use your favorite sugar cookie recipe to make these sandwiches.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1/4 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, oil, almond extract, milk, powdered sugar and granulated sugar together. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, powdered sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt together, stirring with a whisk until the poppy seeds are dispersed.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir until a soft dough is formed.
- Roll the dough 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured countertop. Cut into shapes. Cut a one-inch hole in half of the cookies. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes or until the edges just barely start to brown. Do not over bake.
- Mix the filling—recipe follows. Place about a teaspoon of filling on the half of the cookies without hole. Top with cookies with the hole. Fill the hole with additional filling so that it is slightly above the level of the cookies.
To make the marionberry cream cheese filling, mix 4 ounces of cream cheese with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup seedless marionberry jam. Beat in 2 cups of powdered sugar, a portion at a time.
- “How to Bake” is a 250 page e-book that will explain the roles of sugar, butter, and flour in cookies and many baking principles. It is free and available for download.
- “A Baker’s Cookie Guide” is a three-volume set containing recipes, tips, and techniques. It is free and available for download.
- “A Baker’s Guide to Chocolate” tells you how to get the most out of your chocolate. It is free and available for download