Lemon sauce and gingerbread is a classic combination. We think you’ll like these little loaves topped with lemon sauce and whipped cream.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup molasses
3/4 granulated sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
Place the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the baking pans.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg, milk, buttermilk, sugar, and molasses together on low speed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well scraping down the sides of the bowl. The batter should be smooth and thick. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top springs back and the edges have pulled away from the pan sides. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pans.
For the lemon sauce:
juice and zest of one lemon
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 or 2 drops of yellow food coloring
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in the water and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring nearly continually. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice, zest, and food coloring.
Serve gingerbread topped with the lemon sauce and whipped cream.