Most of us are familiar with cinnamon raisin bread rolled up pinwheel style and baked. Stromboli is a savory version made with meats, cheeses, and sauces.
Use this recipe to make stromboli from scratch or with a mix. Make them in smaller sizes to serve as subway-type sandwiches or larger loaves to slice into individual servings.
Be creative with the ingredients! Try a flavored bread like Italian Herb and Cheese and switch cooked meats, cheeses and vegetables to fit your tastes.
1 bread dough recipe, mix, or refrigerated dough to make one loaf of bread
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
1 cup shredded or 6-8 slices mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup sliced black olives or black or green olive tapenade
1 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 1/2 tsp Zesty Pizza & Pasta Spice
1 large egg
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix your dough according to instructions. Roll it into a rectangle about 1/3 inch thick.
- Spread the ingredients uniformly on your bread dough to about an inch along each edge.
- Whisk 1/2 tablespoon of water with your egg to create an egg wash. Brush the egg wash along one of the long sides.
- Start rolling your dough from the long side without the wash. Roll completely and seal the edges where the wash meets the roll.
- Use the remaining egg wash to seal and pinch the ends closed and to brush over the top of the loaf for color.
- Place the loaf in a greased baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until dark brown and the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees with a thermometer.
- American Spaghetti Carbonara
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, tell us where to send them.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!